Tuesday, December 15, 2015

What is in a value?

What is a value?
A fair return or equivalent in goods, services, or money for something exchanged. 

When you go to let's say a dollar store, and you buy "value products" are you really getting a good value? I think not. Too often value has been associated with cheap or inexpensive. That has in essence devalued the word value. 

Words that come to mind: Cheap (generally both in cost and quality), watered down (soda, juice, cleaning products), flimsy, etc.

Think of 3 products you use every day and put them in order from 1 to 3. I would like you to organize them in such a way that priorities them in order of the importance of quality. Then find comparable "value brand" products and actually compare the two together. Are you getting a good value? Post your list in the comments section at the bottom I am interested in hearing some feedback.

When I hear an advertisement talking about value, the first thing that comes my mind is "what corner did they cut". Something I use every day, steel toe safety shoes. Generally I buy Keen because I know it's a good shoe, fits well, and made of high quality materials. I have purchased a Walmart brand boot before, Brahama I believe. Over all they felt cheap and they didn't hold up. I saved money in the short term, but spend more in the long term.

Sometimes you do have to buy what you can afford, but when it costs you more in the end, did you really save any money? Here is an example of a sale. Slight back story first to get a picture in your head. My wife used to work at a department store in the jewelry department. Depending on the day/week they ran sales on let's say gold jewelry. Sometimes it's buy one get one free, 50% select items, or buy one get one 50%. They both sound pretty good right? Wrong. When there is sometimes upwards of a 1000% mark-up both you have to pick the sale that best matches your budget. Side note, 50% off 1 item is the same as buy one get one free.

Before I end this some final words.
1) Reconsider buying bulk grocerys at Walmart unless you price checked it first, check out a "grocery store" such as Kroger, Shaws, Food Lion, etc. Grocery items tend to be more competitive.
2) If you shop for a family, or like to save money buy buying in bulk take a look at stores such as Costco, BJ's, SAMs Club. You end up spending more, but the savings in result tend to make it worth it. Last week I went and bought chicken at $1.75 per pound and I came home with 10+ pounds. 

Shop smart and keep your wallet happy.
~Daved1058




No comments:

Post a Comment